Bariatric surgery is the most effective treatment of obesity and its associated diseases. Dr. Siddhartha Bhattacharya is a very experienced bariatric surgeon having the experience of hundreds of bariatric procedures including all types of laparoscopic procedures. The treatment he offers is tailored to each patient’s disease. He does not believe in the notion of “one surgery fits all”. He is one of the few surgeons in India who is expert in performing single incision (SILS) bariatric surgery. SILS bariatric surgery is virtually scarless bariatric surgery as the whole procedure is performed laparoscopically through a single key-hole deep in the umbilicus.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has recognized obesity as a disease. Obesity affects the quality as well as the longevity of the lives of affected individuals. Obesity is also associated with the development of other diseases which include:
- Diabetes & its complications
- Lipid disorder
- Heart disease
- Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)
- Gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Arthritis (knee/back pain)
- Poly-cystic ovarian disease (PCOD)
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)
- Obesity-associated kidney disease
- Increased risk of cancers like breast, kidney, colon etc.
How is obesity defined?
Obesity is most commonly defined by BMI (Body Mass Index) calculated Weight in Kgs / (Height in m)2.
|BMI||Class of Obesity|
|25 – 30||Overweight|
|30 – 35||Class I obesity|
|35 – 40||Class II obesity|
|>40||Class III obesity (Morbid obesity)|
Who needs the treatment of obesity by bariatric/metabolic surgery?
As per the OSSI (Obesity & Metabolic Surgeons Society of India), individuals who meet the following criteria are recommended to undergo bariatric surgery:
- BMI of more than 35 with or without obesity-associated diseases
- BMI of more than 30 with obesity-associated diseases like diabetes, hypertension, OSA, etc.
- BMI of more than 27.5 with severely uncontrolled diabetes can also be considered for metabolic surgery.
What is bariatric surgery?
Bariatric surgery is laparoscopic surgery (micro-surgery), wherein alterations are made in the stomach and/or intestines of the affected individual. Bariatric surgery in Kolkata is very safe and recovery after surgery is quick. The patient is made to walk the same day as surgery. Following surgery, the patient loses weight at a rapid pace over the next few months. The improvement of diabetes is even more dramatic, with most patients having normal blood sugar within the first few days of surgery. There are many causes for this improvement like changes in the intestinal hormones which leads to increased production of insulin, restriction of food intake and weight loss which reduces insulin resistance. No other form of treatment can act by so many mechanisms. That is why bariatric surgery is the most effective treatment of diabetes in obese individuals.
Types of Bariatric Surgery:
Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy (LSG)
This procedure involves the reduction of the size of the stomach making it tube-like in the process. This is a restrictive procedure that helps in achieving excellent weight loss. It is better suited for patients who are young with a less severe form of obesity with fewer associated diseases.
Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass (RYGB)
This procedure involves the creation of a small stomach pouch along with a bypass of a small segment of intestines. Thus, this procedure causes both restriction of food intake as well as reduced absorption of food. This weight loss surgery is more suitable for higher BMI patients and those with severe diabetes.
Mini Gastric Bypass / One Anastomosis Gastric Bypass (MGB/OAGB)
This procedure involves the creation of a larger stomach pouch with a bypass of a segment of intestines. This procedure helps in achieving excellent weight loss with good resolution of diabetes.
Duodeno-jejunal Bypass (DJB)
This is another type of bypass along with a sleeve gastrectomy. This procedure is more suited for super-obese persons and patients with uncontrolled diabetes.
Single Incision (SILS) Bariatric Surgery
Single incision bariatric surgery involves performing bariatric procedures through a keyhole through the umbilicus. This procedure is almost scarless as the scar of the incision is hidden deep into the umbilicus. Very few centres in India offer this facility.
Types of Endoscopic Bariatric Procedures:
Intra-gastric Balloon (IGB)
Endoscopic placement of silicon balloon in the stomach to restrict food intake.
Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty (ESG)
Endoscopic plication of the stomach reducing its volume causing reduced food intake.
Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
- Success in Long-Term Weight Loss: You will get success in having a long-term weight-loss if you undergo bariatric surgery.
- Improved Longevity: If you had severe obesity and undergone bariatric surgery, you will have less risk of death than one who is obese and have not undergone bariatric surgery.
- Resolving Coexisting Problems: Bariatric surgery in Kolkata helps to resolve (cure) the problems connected with overweight. High blood pressure, cholesterol abnormalities, arthritis, sleep apnea, fatty liver disease, asthma and other breathing disorders and type II diabetes mellitus are the different disorders resolved (cured) by bariatric surgery.